Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., (cum laude)
Member, Justinian Society for academic excellence
Editor, Law Review
University at Albany, B.A. (magna cum laude)
The Milne School
U.S. District Court
Northern District of New York
Southern District of New York
Eastern District of New York
Western District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals
PH: 518-462-3000 | FX: 518-462-4199 |
Robert H. Iseman, a native of Albany, has represented both institutional and individual health care providers and health care insurers for more than 40 years. He provides a full range of legal services for multi-provider health care systems, accountable care organizations (ACOs), hospitals, physician practice groups, health maintenance organizations, and other health care providers and third-party payors. Areas of representation include corporate governance and compliance issues, internal compliance investigations, fraud and abuse, integrated health care delivery systems and related antitrust issues, medical staff relationships, peer review, risk management and related litigation.
Throughout the state of New York and on a regional basis, Bob also provides legal services to several religiously sponsored, multi-hospital health care systems. His experience in representing religiously sponsored health care systems has included substantial involvement concerning the interrelationship between the civil law of New York and other states and the Canon Law of the Roman Catholic Church. Bob negotiated the “active/passive parent rules” with the New York State Department of Health in 1989. These rules have since become the foundational building blocks of virtually all multi-hospital systems in New York State.
Bob played a key role in the creation of some of the largest and most successful health care systems in the state of New York, including Capital District Physicians’ Health Plan, St. Peter’s Health Partners, Catholic Health Services of Long Island, and Long Island Health Network, which was the first “clinically integrated” health care network in the United States.
Bob also has been engaged in a broad range of complex commercial litigation matters for various clients, including many nationally known corporations. The litigated disputes involved such areas of the law as antitrust, including defense of class actions; directors’ and officers’ liability claims; securities fraud; wrongful discharge; defamation; real estate transactions; environmental contamination; insurance coverage disputes; breach of contract; and personal injury.
Bob has conducted special seminars and presentations for various clients and professional associations, such as the New York State Bar Association, Albany County Bar Association, Hospital Education and Research Fund of the Healthcare Association of New York State, and the Healthcare Trustees of the State of New York. Topics addressed include corporate governance and compliance issues, civil litigation tactics and techniques, patient confidentiality, incident and misconduct reporting, the legal implications of medical staff peer review, and the fiduciary duty of board members.
- Founding partner of ICRH
- Assistant counsel to Governors Rockefeller and Wilson, Office of Counsel to the Governor of the State of New York, 1973-1975
- Member of the American Health Lawyers Association, American Association for Justice, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, New York State Bar Association, New York State Trial Lawyers Association, and Albany County Bar Association
- Served as counsel to a special State Bar Association Action Unit studying reform of the State’s court system and the manner of selection of judges
- Former chair, New York State Bar Committee on Constitution and Bylaws and the Legislative Policy Committee
- Elected as a fellow of the New York Bar Foundation
- Former board member and board president, Board of Education of Cambridge Central School
- Former chair, Council for Intercollegiate Sports, University at Albany Foundation